Monday, March 17, 2008

Sunday Breakfast...with a twist.

My husband's family has a traditional breakfast that they have every Sunday. I am not sure exactly when it started but it has been passed down to us...or I should say we are making it our own tradition as well. The traditional breakfast consist of eggs, fried ham, rolls and usually a little something sweet at the end.

In one of my many searches on the Internet/blog world for new recipes I came across one that really caught my eye. The recipe took almost every part of our meal and combined it into one. What a nice way to put a twist on our traditional meal. I found it on a blog called Everybody Likes Sandwiches.

4 whole wheat buns
unsalted butter
4 large free run eggs
4 slices of deli ham, diced
2 green onions, diced
1/4 c smoked gouda, grated
1 t sweet paprika
salt & pepper

1. Cut into the bottom of the buns, removing most of the insides...but keeping the outsides sturdy. You don't want to remove all of the insides but it should still be able to hold an egg and other good things. Dispose of those innards you just removed (or better yet, save them for breadcrumbs). Butter the inside shell of the bun and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until butter melts and the bun is warmed through and just a bit toasted.

2. Place half of the ham and onions in the bottom of each bun, crack an egg into the hole and top with the remaining ham and onions. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika and salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 10 - 15 minutes. Remove foil and place on upper oven rack and broil for a few minutes until cheese gets golden.

Review: I really liked this twist on our classic breakfast and I can't wait to make it again. I used bacon instead of the ham because the night before I made a soup that called for bacon. So I just cooked up a little extra and saved it for breakfast. I also couldn't find whole wheat rolls so I just used kaiser rolls I found at the market. The rolls were good but a little too big or just cut the hole a little smaller then I did. I think the bacon, green onions and smoked Gouda gave it a really nice flavor.

The only thing I found weird in this recipe is the cooking time because I baked it in the oven with the egg in it for 15 minutes and it still didn't seem totally cooked. I let it cook under the broiler a little longer then stated in the recipe until I thought it was cooked. I am going to do some "research" online and see if I can come up with a better oven temp or cooking time. I would defiantly make this recipe again and it is even perfect for a nice brunch.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails