Friday, March 14, 2008

Farm Fresh Cheese

I have a confession to make...I am a big reality TV show watcher. I really never thought I would be but I can't get enough of them. I would list all the show I like to watch but then I would just embarrass myself. One of the reality shows that is at the top of my list is Top Chef.

One day I did a search on lead judge of Top Chef...Tom Colicchio to see all about his restaurants. I was curious to see what type/style of food he serves and to get a gauge of his taste. What really caught my eye was that one of his NY restaurants had a cheese menu. On that menu had a cheese that was very close to home...I literally mean close to home.

I have been waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can visit Sprout Creek Farm in Poughkeepsie, NY with Jacob. I thought it would be fun for the both of us...I get to try some different types of cheese and he gets to see all the animals. I also thought now was a perfect time because every time we are in the car and I drive past an open field...Jacob starts to MOOoooo...I am not joking every time.

The pictures above are of the Creamery/Market place, the goats, our new friend #30, and of the cows on the hill.

I tried a bunch of cheeses they had there which were all very good and it was hard to decide on just one cheese. I bought some Toussaint cheese (A Robustly flavored cheese with a distinctive Alpine flavor. Toussaint becomes more complex and peppery with age, and rounds out with a smooth, tight texture. Natural edible rind.) which reminded me of another cheese we once bought at another cheese place in Cambridge.

I plan on going back there to purchase more cheese in the future. One thing that caught my eye was a few picnic benches in the front of the market...my idea is to bring some friends, a bottle of wine, a picnic lunch and buy some farm fresh cheese. Another idea is to buy one type of each cheese they offer...cow, sheep or goat and have a wine & cheese tasting party. Both sound like a really great day to me!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails