Saturday, March 1, 2008

Irish Soda Scones

Today is March 1st and I started thinking about what recipe I wanted to try next, but than I remembered St. Patrick's Day is coming up soon. So that means Irish Soda Bread. Instead of making the traditional loaf, I found a recipe on the Joy of Baking website for Irish Soda Scones. My mom use to get something similar from the supermarket by her house, so I was excited to try this recipe.


Irish Soda Scones

3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add most of the buttermilk. Using one hand, or a wooden spoon, mix (adding more buttermilk if necessary) until you have a soft, moist dough.


Transfer to a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough into a 7-8 inch round that is about 1 inch thick. Cut this circle into 6 triangular sections. Place the scones on your prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with a little extra buttermilk and then dust with a little flour. This gives the baked scones a wonderful brown crust.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Test by tapping the bottom of a scone - it should sound hallow. Remove from oven. Best if served warm.



My Review: This recipe is quick to make. I like raisins in my soda bread so I added probably about a half a cup to the dough before shaping it. The only problem I had was that the dough got a little sticky to work with after I turned it on to the floured surface. Next time I'll have to make sure I put a enough flour down so the dough won't stick to it. Other than that it was easy. I think we'll have them tomorrow morning for breakfast. They will go great with a cup of coffee or tea. Enjoy!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails