Monday, March 17, 2008

Irish Soda Bread






















HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!!

I thought I would try to make some Irish soda bread to bring to my Dads since he was making us Cornbeef and Cabbage last night for dinner. I'd never made bread before so I had no idea how it was going to come out. I was so pleasently suprised as to how easy it was to prepare. I chose to make mine without raisons and OMG..it came out delicious!!! I loved it. Here is the recipe I used:



Prep Time:15 min
Total Time:1 hr 15 min
Makes:16 servings, 1 wedge each

3-1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup currants or raisins

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and currants; mix just until moistened.

PLACE dough on floured surface; knead 10 times. Shape into round loaf, 2-1/2 inches thick. Place on greased baking sheet. Cut deep 1/2-inch "X" in top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar.

BAKE 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 16 wedges to serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails