Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sloppy Joe

I am always looking for a fast and easy thing to make for dinner. Usually at the last minute because I totally forget to think ahead and make something. Also usually at the end of the week when I realize I need to go grocery shopping because I don't have that much left in the house.

I had a few big hero rolls leftover from the weekend and was thinking of a way to use them before the get moldy.

Sloppy Joes II

Allrecipes.com

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Review: This one is a keeper and a great new addition to my usual meals. It was fast and easy to prepare. The first step is the same thing I do when I make my chili except you don't put garlic in this recipe. I didn't have enough ketchup at home to make this so I found a way to make a substitute using tomato sauce: 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar and a pinch of cloves. It almost taste like ketchup but WAY too sweet...so I did not add the brown sugar in the recipe which I think turned out to be the correct thing to do. Next time I make it I will try it with the ketchup and brown sugar but if it doesn't come out as good I know I can go back to the way I made it this time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails