Monday, July 20, 2009

Beef Fajitas

Mike loves everything associated with fire. From grilling to building camp fires. Everyone who knows Mike knows this little fact about him. So years ago for Christmas Mike's brother gave him a book called: How to Grill, The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques by Steven Raichlen. After a weekend of eating hamburgers and hot dogs we felt like something different for dinner, fish. So, we went to our local fish store and saw a nice piece of tuna that caught our eyes. I trying to figure out how to prepare it and then remember a recipe we've made a few times from that book, Basil-Grilled Tuna. If you like basil, garlic and tuna, you'll love this recipe.

But as I was searching for that recipe I was reading other recipes on my way and I came across the recipe for Beef Fajitas. I thought to myself, I'll have to make that recipe one day. I guess since the recipe was fresh on my mind when I went food shopping yesterday I subconsciously went to the meat section looking for the cut of meat I would need to make it. Long story short I made it tonight for dinner and it was really good. Sorry I forgot to take a picture, but take my word for it, they were really good.

Beef Fajitas

1 1/2lbs shirt steaks
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon course salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 limes

Peppers and Onions
Fajita shells

Place steaks in a nonreactive baking dish in a single layer. Combine the chili powder, coriander, salt, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle the mixture over the meat, patting it on with your fingertips, on both sides. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze the limes over the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour covered.


My Review: I thought this recipe was really good and easy to make. The recipe also had direction on how to grill veggies to go with the beef. Since I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to make the veggies on the grill, I just cut up some peppers and onions and sauteed them while the beef was marinating. We were hungry so I only marinated the meat for 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes. It still turned out great!! Next time I'm going to try this recipe with chicken.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails