Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Confetti Corn

I am always looking for a simple and quick side dish to make with dinner. I always feel like it is an after thought and I usually just heat up whatever frozen/canned veggies I have on hand. The other day I was looking in one of my cookbooks and came across a recipe that I thought fit the bill.

Confetti Corn
Barefoot Contessa: back to basics.

2 tablespoons good olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 small orange bell pepper, 1/2" dice
2 tablepoons butter
Kernals from 5 ears of corn (4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil, minced fresh chives, and/or minced fresh parsley

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Stir in the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Over medium heat, add the corn, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes, until the corn just loses its starchiness. Season to taste, gently stir in the basil or other green herbs, and serve hot.

Review: Wow is this recipe a keeper...easy, fast and tasted amazing. I didn't do exactly as the recipe is written above but I didn't really change much. I used a yellow onion instead of a red one, and I used a red bell pepper instead of the orange one it calls for. I also didn't add the butter to the pan because I ended up using more oil then I should of. I also am so mad at myself because I have fresh basil and parsley in my garden and I totally forgot to use it. Well this dish was so yummy that I am going to make it again and use the herbs. It could only make it better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails