Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Michelle's May Recipe

I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner last night...which always makes me think about what my mom used to make us for dinner. I was also trying to think about what recipe I was going to make for this month's theme.

I am probably going to mess up the details this story but you will get the idea of it. I think when my Mom and Dad first got married my Mom tried to make this for dinner one night. The recipe is Porcupine Meatballs...to make a long story short. They didn't come out right and the rice was hard as a rock and were really like porcupine needles.

Porcupine Meatballs
1 pound lean ground beef
1/3 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
dash ground black pepper
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup water

PREPARATION:
Combine the ground beef, rice, onion, 1/4 cup of the water, salt, and pepper. Shape meat mixture into 12 to 15 meat balls. Combine the soup, chili powder, and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add meatballs; reduce heat, cover, and simmer over very low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.Serves 4.





Review: I thought that the meatballs tasted great and was a great twist on just plain old meatballs. The only thing I found "wrong" with this recipe is that it really had no binding ingredient. I looked at a bunch of recipes and about half called for none and half called for at least one egg. If I make these again I will make them like I do my normal meatballs and just add the uncooked rice to it. I didn't get to the market yesterday so I had to use what I had on hand...a jar of tomato sauce instead of the soup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband asked me to make porcupine balls a few months ago, because he remembered his mom making them when he was young. They were really tasty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails