Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

I decided to have family over on Sunday for a little BBQ to celebrate Memorial Day. A little family function turned into a large family function. Before I knew it I was preparing for a 13 person family dinner...not a problem but I panicked a little bit.

I decided instead of doing the normal hamburgers and hot dogs I would mix it up a little bit. I made a couple of new things and had the standard hamburgers just in case. On the menu was kabobs and shrimp boil.

Grilled Chicken Kabobs (Greek style)
Everyday Foods

Ingredients
Serves 4
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into twenty-four 1-inch pieces
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into sixteen 1-inch pieces
1/2 small red onion, quartered, layers separated
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions
In a resealable plastic bag, combine chicken, zucchini, onion, oil, oregano, and 2 tablespoons vinegar; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and teaspoon pepper. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to overnight).

Heat grill or grill pan to medium. Soak eight 6-inch wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes.
Onto each skewer, alternately thread 3 pieces of chicken with 2 of zucchini and 2 of onion (see below). Grill skewers, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.

Review: Really very easy to put together and marinate overnight which helps when you are making it for a party. I liked that I could do this ahead of time and focus on other last minute things before my party. When we went put the kabobs together I knew it was good when everyone was commented on how great it smelled in the kitchen. They were very very yummy and something I can't wait to make again.

I have been thinking about making this Shrimp boil for over a year now...ever since we had it at The Summer Shack in Cambridge, MA. It was one of those things that you eat and so WOW I want more of it. I figured this was a good oppurtunity to try it out. The only mistake I made was making one one batch of this recipe and not two like my husband suggested. I had a taste, turned around to do something, and when I went back it was all gone. I even made the sauce with it that the recipe had which is SUPER easy to make and totally worth it.

Shrimp Steamed in Beer from Gourmet Magazine...it is worth a visit to the epicurius website for the recipe.

The only mistake I made with this bbq was not having my camera out a ready to take pictures.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails