Monday, February 1, 2010

Birthday Cake & Shrimp Fajitas

Saturday we had Jacob's birthday party with the family which was a lot of fun. I decided to make him one of those checker board cakes this year. I actually bought it last year but didn't make it. To be honest I don't think I am going to make it again. I used the recipe on the box which was ok (a box mix would have been better) but my checkerboard did not come out right. The best part of the cake was the sprinkles that Jacob put on the cake himself.


The one thing that was a success and will be added to my list of thing to make is the shrimp recipe I used. I wanted to provide a few option for everyone so I made chicken, taco meat and shrimp for my fajita bar. I left half the shrimp plain (just salt and pepper) and marinated the other half. I did not know how the marinade would taste since I never made it before that night and was worried about having something inedible on my hands. I thought most people would like it but I was worried it might not be what I thought it would be. Well the that was the first thing to go completely...it was a success.

Marinated Shrimp

1 pound medium shrimp, shelled
1 cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup lime juice

1. Stir together shrimp, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.


2.Add shrimp mixture to pan, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often, until shrimp are opaque in center; cut to test (about 3 minutes).


Review: Who does not love a recipe that is only 3-4 ingredients and ingredients I had on hand anyway because it was all the stuff I was using for fajitas to begin with. The shrimp had a really great refreshing taste to it and was perfect for the fajitas. This would make a great summer recipe and probably good on any type of fish. It is a keeper!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails