Monday, February 8, 2010

Beautiful Burger Buns...Say That Three Times Fast!

Since I knew we weren't going any where for the Superbowl I took the opportunity to make some kind of bread. When else am I going to get a guaranteed not getting off the couch day from Mike. So of course I went to my favorite bread cookbook for this task.

What could I make to go with cold cuts and something that I did not need an overnight starter for...that actually narrows it down a lot. Then I found the perfect thing to try out and if they were good this would be something I could make in the future.


Beautiful Burger Buns
KingArthurFlour.com

3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast

1) Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—to make a soft, smooth dough.

2) Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 hour, or until it's doubled in bulk.

3) Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round 1" thick (more or less); flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until very puffy.

4) If desired, brush buns with melted butter. Or brush lightly with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water), and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

5) Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, till golden. Cool on a rack.

My favorite crumb shot...
Review: If I can help it I will try to make these every time we have burgers or cold cuts in the future. They were so easy to make and the end result is just fantastic. They have the right taste and the right texture for burger or a sandwich. I tried to keep track of the time when I started (about 8:30ish am) and the time I finished (just before Noon) to see how long they really take me to make. This way I know if I can squeeze in making them before our next bbq. Check out the link above to the recipe because on that page they give you some tips on making these. Also they give you a great way of how to shape them which I am going to try next time to see if I can get them to be more even in shape. This one is a keeper for sure!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails