Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Irish Soda Bread, American Style - KAF

One thing I love about March is the holiday St. Patrick's Day. It always inspires me to make some Irish Soda Bread. This year I decided to make King Arthur's American Style Soda Bread. Sorry no pictures. Mike wanted to start eating it 5 minutes after it came out of the oven.

Irish Soda Bread, American Style

4 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 1/2 cups raisins

In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients; set aside. In another bowl, cream together the butter or margarine, eggs and sugar till light and fluffy.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients alternately with the milk. Stir in the caraway seeds and raisins.

Spoon the batter into a greased deep (9 x 4-inch round) cake pan or springform pan, or a deep angel-food or tube pan. Bake the bread in a preheated 325°F oven for about 1 1/2 hours (less in a tube or angel-food pan), or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven, and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 sweet, moist, crumbly-textured loaf.

My Review: I didn't have a deep 9x4 round cake pan so I used to 9x4 loaf pans. It was easy to make and very tasty. Since it had a generous amount of butter in it and you need to spread any one. I though this recipe tasted great and is very moist, but I kind of like the dry version a little more. This came out more like a cake than bread. But I would make it again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails