Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Zucchini, Onion, & Basil Pizza

The inspiration for this recipe came from William Sonoma's June 2008 catalog. One of their featured items is the Beehive Pizza Oven. It's way over my price limit, but now that I have my Pampered Chef Bar Pan, who needs a pizza oven?! =)

Anyhow, the farm stands have also opened upstate and although I have a ton of veggies growing in my garden, they aren't quite ready for the picking. Well, not entirely true, the lettuce is ready and we have a few cukes that are small but very edible! We made our first salad the other night!

Zucchini & Basil Pizza - my modified version below

Ingredients:
1 green zucchini, sliced 3/16 inch thick
1 Vadalia Onion
1 Tbs. EVOO
Olive Oil Spray
4 tsp. Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
One store bought pizza dough
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
6 large fresh basil leaves, torn

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, stir together the zucchini, 1 Tbs. oil, salt (1 Tbl) and fresh ground pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes, then drain off the excess liquid. Place pizza dough round on a sprayed Large Bar Pan from Pampered Chef. Lightly spray the dough with olive oil and sprinkle parmesan cheese over the dough. Sprinkle the mozzarella on the dough and top with the zucchini and onions. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake for 18 minutes and then low broil for about 5 minutes (to ensure top of crust is cooked through). Place torn pieces of basil on top. Cut into slices and serve immediately.

Review: Another wow! I really enjoyed this and kept saying it over and over to Rocco. A perfect summer pizza with just the right amount of flavoring. The zucchini and onions were sweet and just a delight. My only downer is that I used store bought (fresh) pizza dough and the last time I made pizza I got it down on Arthur Ave. at Madonia Brothers Bakery and you can actually taste the difference in the dough!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails