Wednesday, April 9, 2008

March Recipe: WW Veggie Stir-fry with Peanuts

So, I tossed and turned over what kind of peanut recipe was I going to make for our March calendar. I think Heidi had said she didn't want to do a dessert and I agreed. I had a Rocky Road Fudge recipe that takes 15 minutes though in case any one does want a peanut dessert! =)

Also, I keep on the WW warpath, I stumbled across a recipe for a stir-fry with peanuts. Perfect! I added cup up bonesless chicken breasts and added that into the recipe as well.

WW Veggie Stir-fry with Peanuts

Ingredients:
1 tsp peanut oil
1 cup onion(s), chopped (about 1 medium onion or 1 cup of frozen chopped onion)
1 cup asparagus, chopped in 1” pieces
1 cup carrots, chopped (½ lb. / ½ bag of baby carrots)
1 medium green pepper, sliced (or 1 cup of frozen chopped green pepper)
4 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
¼ cup canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium
4 Tbsp peanuts, dry roasted
2 cups cooked brown rice

Directions:
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add onion, asparagus, carrots, peppers, and mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. (The frozen veggies make the recipe that much faster, especially for a week night meal.)
- Add soy sauce and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes more.
Whisk cornstarch into broth in a small cup and add to pan; simmer until sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
- Spoon stir-fry onto rice on individual plates and top each serving with peanuts.

Yield: 4 servings: about 1½ cups of vegetables, 1 tablespoon of peanuts and ½ cup of rice per serving

WW points: 5 per serving.

If you add the chicken (4 oz. - uncooked - per serving), cook this in the pan before the veggies. Remove from pan once cooked and add in once veggies are done cooking. 3 oz. cooked chicken = additional 3 points per serving.

Review: I really enjoyed this recipe! It was quick and easy with the frozen veggies - less to cut up and prepare - and tasted good! While it may not be a lot of food for most people, it was the perfect portion size for me and left me with 2 days of leftovers for my hubby (while I was taking care of my parents - dad just had his carotid artery unclogged!). I will definitely make it again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails