Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Last Nights Dinner...Part A

I decided yesterday that I would be nice and make dinner for everyone. Why is it when ever you try to make something nice for dinner it goes to waste and when you make nothing at all everyone is waiting for dinner. Mike didn't come home last night until after 11pm...we decided to just put away the dinner I made and hopefully eat it tonight. I did however sample a little bit of it and was SOOOO wanting to eat it last night.

I made from the current issue of Everyday Food: Roasted Pork Loin with Black-Bean and Sweet-Potato Salad.

I followed the recipe and it really didn't take that much time. I was going to make the black bean salad earlier in the day but decided to just make everything at once like the recipe called for. It was like a well organized dance. The only thing I did't do was put in the red pepper flakes. Definitely a during the week recipe or even a weekend recipe. I plan on making the Black-Bean salad again because from the tiny taste I had last night it was really good. Jacob loves black beans even with the dressing on them and kept asking for more.

My review of the recipes...The pork was OK nothing special and I don't think I would make it again just for the fact that the Cuban pork my husbands family makes is much better. I really liked the black bean and sweet potato salad. The sweetness of the potatoes compliment the tang of the onions and cilantro.

Roasted Pork Loin with Black-Bean and Sweet-Potato Salad
serves 4 , Prep time: 25 minutes, Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes

What You'll Need
3 pounds center-cut boneless pork loin
4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
2 teaspoons ground cumin
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime, plus wedges for serving
1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

What to Do
1) Preheat oven to 450, with racks set in the upper and lower thirds. Place pork on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub with 1 teaspoon oil; season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Roast on upper rack until an instant-read thermometer registers 145, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and cover loosely with aluminum foil; let rest for 10 minutes.

2) About 15 minutes after pork has begun roasting, place sweet potatoes on another rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with red pepper flakes (if using), salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Roast on lower rack, until tender, tossing once during cooking, 25 to 35 minutes.

3) In a large bowl, whisk lime juice with remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Add sweet potatoes, beans, onions and, if using, cilantro; mix gently to combine. Thinly slice pork, and serve with salad and lime wedges.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails