Thursday, January 7, 2010

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Sometimes I just don't know what to make for dinner. I feel like I make the same stuff all the time which isn't a bad thing. It is just sometimes I like to make something different or something I haven't made in a long time. If I ask Mike what he would like to eat it has lately been beef stew every time I ask him. Most of the time he tells me this when I really don't have the time to make it.

He also wants me to make Heidi's Guinness beef stew...which is excellent but I did not feel like buying the beer to make it this time. I found another slow cooker recipe on all recipes that came out great!



Slow Cooker Beef Stew
allrecipes.com

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 potatoes, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped

Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.

Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.

Review: Just the type of slow cooker recipe I like...super easy and not much extra work to it. It really is a pet peeve of mine when a slow cooker recipe calls for about an hour of work which I feel I can cook a whole meal in to begin with. I can talk about this pet peeve for a while so I won't start. The only thing I did different was to add some frozen peas to the pot about 45 minutes before it was done just because that was when I remembered to do it. I also cooked it on high for about 4 hours and then cooked it on low for about 2 hours. I know this is a keeper when Mike takes it for lunch the next day.

I have to say beef stew does not take the best looking pictures...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails