Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Yummy Disaster...

I don't know why it matters but I think it is amazing that this is my 10th year celebrating Christmas with my husband's family. The celebrations style has evolved and so has the size of the family (there are now 5 little boys added) but really it is still the same.

Also I reminded Mike that he has had my sugar cookies at the table for the past 10 years...what did he do before them. He did not remember me bringing them the first year but I remember it so well. First time meeting my in-laws (at the time I did not know they would be my in-laws) and his WHOLE entire family. I needed to bring something that would impress and boy did they ever. I think I would be put out in the cold if I did not bring them with me.

The other thing I brought with me then were rum balls. Me being the silent dork that I am wanted to make them again. The first time they came out well but when I tried to make them now I failed miserably...Mike is now enjoying them as what I like to call Rum Crumbs.

I had a lot of leftover pecans and wanted to make something with them. So I searched a new cookie cookbook I got from Karen and found ones called Pecan Meltaways...



Pecan Meltaways

Taste of Home

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Additional confectioners' sugar

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans. Refrigerate until chilled.
  • Roll into 1-in. balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Roll warm cookies in additional confectioners' sugar; cool completely on wire racks. Roll cooled cookies again in confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Review: This is a perfect cookie to add to your holiday baking list. Super easy to make and super yummy! The one problem I had with the recipe is that it does not tell you how long to chill the dough for...I think 30 minutes to 1 hour would be OK. I think they just need to firm up a bit do they don't spread so much in the oven. I actually had them in the refrigerator for a lot longer because I was trying to do more then I had time to do. I am not sure if I am sold on adding it to my annual list but the family is enjoying eating them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails