Thursday, December 3, 2009

I Can't Decide...So I Made Both.

Last week Mike asked me to make something for him to bring to work. They are having their annual charity bake sale and FINALLY Mike asked me to make something. I always got a little annoyed at him for not bringing something in...hello you have a wife at home that loves to bake...I would tell him. At first I was going to make individual monkey breads (I was going to make them in a muffin tin) just to have something different there. Since I was making cookies for my neighbor's birthday he said to just give him some of those.

There is a restaurant near me that gives cookies like these for dessert with the kid's meals. It was funny because I was wondering how they made them the other day and then I found a recipe. So of course I had to try it out. The dough was suppose to make A LOT of cookies.


Double Delights
Taste of Home

  • CHOCOLATE DOUGH:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup baking cocoa
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 5 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped

  • VANILLA DOUGH:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped

Directions

  • For chocolate dough, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans and white chocolate.
  • For vanilla dough, in another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans and German chocolate. Cover and refrigerate both doughs for 2 hours.
  • Divide both doughs in half. Shape each portion into a 12-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
  • Unwrap and cut each roll in half lengthwise. Place a chocolate half and vanilla half together, pressing to form a log; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until the dough holds together when cut.
  • Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool


Review: I made these cookies for a couple of reason one which I stated above because they were like the ones from the restaurant. The other reason was it stated it makes 15 dozen cookies...SO not the case. Maybe I can get 7 dozen out of this but I am not even sure of that. It makes two logs which I baked one and froze the other to bake for Christmas. The one log I think I might have gotten 3 dozen. I don't think I could have cut the cookies any thinner then I did...the were pretty thin to begin with. That being said the dough was easy to make and did not take that much time. I think you need to let the sit in the refrigerator a little longer then stated in the recipe to get them firm enough. Also I think if you put the in the freezer before you slice them it would make that process easier. The overall taste is super yummy and addictive. Not sure if i would make these again or try to find another recipe for the dough and just use the same technique. I have to wait and see how the guys at Mike's office liked them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails