Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zucchini Pizza Crust

Like Michelle, I too received a HUGE zucchini from Jenn's garden. While searching for zucchini recipes I came across a lot of zucchini bread recipes, a few cake recipes, but what really caught my eye was a recipe for Zucchini Pizza Crust. The one I made was not gluten free, but there are quite a few zucchini pizza crust recipes that are gluten free.


Zucchini Pizza Crust

1 large egg
1/2 ounce grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram
ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 medium zucchini (grated)

Preheat the oven to 325 F

Place the egg, Parmesan, oregano, marjoram, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Whisk together well.

Add the zucchini and fold into egg mixture until well blended. Sprinkle the flour over the top and fold into the zucchini mixture.

Place mixture on a non-stick cookie sheet. Pat down into a thin round shape.

Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before adding pizza toppings.

My Review: I think I might have followed the recipe incorrectly, but it still turned out good. I had doubled the ingredients because I had about 2 cups of shredded zucchini and it didn't look like the egg mixture would be enough. It wasn't crispy like real pizza crust, but the tomato sauce and cheese gave it a nice taste. After I topped the "pizza" I had put it back in the oven to melt the cheese a little. Next time I might squeeze the zucchini before mixing it all together. I think that will make the crust less moist. Oh I almost forgot. I didn't have marjoram, so I used dried basil instead.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails