Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mulligatawny Soup for Dinner

This time of year I love to have soup for dinner...the heartier the better. There is just something so exciting about a nice hot and steamy bowl of goodness. So last night I tried a new recipe I found in a magazine at the doctors office. Well actually I found it in the magazine but when I got home I got it off their website. It is for Mulligatawny Soup from the Family Fun publication.


Mulligatawny Soup
from Family Fun Magazine

4 tablespoons butter (or 2 tablespoons olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
1/2 cup flour
2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
5 cups chicken broth
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
Salt and pepper
2 cups hot cooked rice

1. Melt the butter, or heat the oil, in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, green pepper, apple, and chicken, and sauté for about 15 minutes. Turn the heat to low.

2. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and curry powder. Add the mixture to the pot, then stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Partially cover the pot and simmer the soup for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Add the salt and pepper to taste.

3. To serve, place about 1/4 cup of rice in a bowl and ladle the soup over the rice. Makes about 8 cups.
Review: As my husband and I like to say...this one is a keeper! It was really not that hard to make just takes a little time to cut up all the vegetables that go in it. The only thing I would change in the future is add a little more curry powder because I only added the minimum amount this time around. I didn't want it to be overwhelming the first time I made it but it does need a little extra something.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails