Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pretzel Pralines

I have a bunch of blogs I like to look at from time to time. Not Martha is one of them and she had a post about Pretzel Pralines so I followed the link to the blog called, Ideas in Food. It had the recipe for the pretzel pralines. The pictures looked good and the recipe seemed easy so I gave it try it.


Pretzel Pralines

1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups broken pretzel pieces
2 tablespoons of cold butter cut in small pieces

Place sugar, salt and pretzel pieces in a heavy bottomed pot over a high flame. Stir the mixture constantly with a wooden spoon to thoroughly coat the pretzels with the melting sugar. Once most of the caramel has turned amber, but still looks sandy, lower the heat and add the butter. Stir well to blend and once the butter has been fully absorbed, turn the pretzels out onto a buttered sheet tray or silpat. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.



My Review: It was easy to make, but I made the mistake of making right when I got home from the gym. Since you need to stir it constantly my arms got tired quickly. Also, I think I used to wrong sized pot. I made a mess of the stove. Oh and I forgot to lower the heat when adding the butter so it over cooked a little. This is what happens when I try to make something when I'm tired. It tastes good, not to sweet, but the praline is on the hard size. But I think that's because I over cooked it. I'm going to try to make this again, when I'm more a wake. Plus now I know what to expect and how much time it will take. It reminds me of when I make butter crunch. It usually doesn't come out right the first time.

**
I made a second batch which came out just as good. Also, do not use a non-stick pot!! It will scratch the pot.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails