Monday, April 19, 2010

Homemade Granola

A couple of weeks ago I had a weak moment at my local BJ's and bought something I normally don't buy...granola. It looked so tasty and I was thinking it probably is a some what healthy treat. Well little did I know that the baby would be in LOVE with it. He just inhaled it like he would never get it again...and it even stopped him from crying a couple of times.

I made my own granola a long time ago and thought it was about time to make some again. I was pretty sure I used the Alton Brown recipe that is on the food network's website. Of course after I made I remembered where I have the recipe that I made the last night but not big deal.


Homemade Granola

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup raisins

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

Review: I have been wondering why sometimes granola is so expensive in the stores to buy. The recipe I made I tweaked with the ingredients I had in the house...the original one called for cashews as well and for maple syrup but I decided to use honey instead. One reason for the honey is because every time William eats some with maple syrup he smells like that for days. I can understand if you put everything under the sun and use really good ingredients why the cost is so high. I really like this recipe because it can be customized to your taste and what you have in the house...like most of them. I think once we are done with this batch I will have to try a different combination out.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails