Monday, November 3, 2008

July Recipe: Blueberry Buckle

Wow, so it has been 3.5 months since my last entry! And probably almost as long since I have even been on the blog - how sad is that?! I took a new role at work and since June, there has been little time for anything else. Hours have been long and weekends fly by so fast, that I've blinked and Monday has already arrived. *sigh* However, being that I do work in the financial industry, I won't complain too much, as at least both my husband and I still have jobs.

I am home sick today (I blame it on the stress of work along with the cold weather!), so figured I would take a few minutes and post my various recipes for the past few months! P.S. I am really inspired right now - I'm watching Martha Stewart and there are 2 sisters that started a cupcake shop in Georgetown (DC) and now have a very successful shop making 900 cupcakes per day (at $2.75 per cupcake, do the math!). See, girls, there is still hope for us to open up our own shop!

Anyhow, back to my topic, my July recipe, Blueberry Buckle. I remember my mom making this for our Annual Family Picnic the first Saturday in August each year. I had made one myself years ago, but had such a craving for this the past summer and thought it was a perfect fit for our July recipe. The recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens: New Cook Book (1965).

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup sugar
1 well-beaten egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

Cinnamon Crumbs:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly cream shortening and sugar; add egg and mix well.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into well-greased 11 1/2 x 7 x 1 1/2 inch pan. Top with blueberries. Sprinkle Cinnamon Crumbs over berries.


Bake at 350 degs. for 45-50 minutes. Cut in squares. Serve warm. Makes 8-10 servings.

Cinnamon Crumbs: Mix sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter till crumbly.


Review: Well, I have to say, it wasn't as good as I remember, UNTIL the next day when it got a little moist and what I would call gooey. This is how I remember it and the way I enjoy it. It is a great breakfast treat or coffee cake type recipe and one that brings back warm summer memories. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails