Monday, April 12, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

This has been on my list of Recipes I Want to Try for a while now. I have been trying to make some healthier meals and thought this one was a good one to try. I used to buy veggie burgers all the time in the past but I like the idea of making one myself. The other best part about this recipe is 99% of the time I have all the ingredients in the house.



Black Bean Burgers
allrecipes.com


1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch

1/2 onion, cut into wedges

3 cloves garlic, peeled

1 egg

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin

1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce

1/2 cup bread crumbs


1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.

2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.


3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.

4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.

5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.



6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.


Review: Like I said above this is a great recipe because I have all the ingredients in my house already. A great last minute meal if i can't think of anything else to make that night. The flavors of this "burger" are really great and totally addicting to me. We used the leftover avocado cilantro mayo as a condiment which was a great accompaniment. This recipe is a keeper!


If you go on allrecipes.com and read the reviews some people had the problem of them falling apart which I sort of did as well. Not sure if it needs more bread crumbs or maybe another egg to bind it together a little bit better. I did end up making them about 2 hours before I was going to bake them in the oven and had them in the refrigerator which probably helped a little bit. Honestly I would never think of cooking these on the grill because I can just see a mess happening. I would love to make these into like "meatballs" and bake them in the oven...serve them up falafel style.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails