Saturday, November 29, 2008

September/October Recipe: Paprika Chicken & Egg Noodles

I thought I would hit two birds with one stone for September and October. Of course, my husband and I eat chicken like it's going out of style (mainly because it is the better meat health-wise). Similar to Michelle, I am always looking to change it up a bit (although do have some old stand-bys when I don't have time to follow a recipe). The great thing about chicken is that you can really eat it so many different ways and add so many different types of spices to it and it just adapts to however you are cooking it.

Another great thing about chicken is that Costco sells it in this HUGE 10lb. bag of Perdue chicken breasts in different sizes (but not as JUMBO as they seem to make them in the supermarket these days). Makes it very convenient as I don't have to bring them home, cut them up and freeze them and whenever I plan on making chicken for dinner, I just take 2 pieces out and defrost them.

Anyhow, I had a Pampered Chef party several months ago and bought their cookbook called "29 minutes to dinner." There were 2 main reasons I decided to buy this cookbook, maybe three. 1) It has pictures. A cookbook with pictures is always a big plus for me. I am a very visual person and pictures just helps spark the creative juices flowing. 2) The P.C. consultant actually had a list of the Weight Watchers points per recipe, which was a HUGE plus! 3. It's small, won't take up too much room on my shelf! =) Oh yeah, and did I mention it's only supposed to take 29 minutes to the meal?! So make that 4 reasons! When I come home from work the last thing I want is to make a meal that takes an hour. Anyhow, I thumbed through the book and found a recipe that had both chicken (September recipe theme) and pasta (October recipe theme). I figured it was a win-win, or was it?

Paprika Chicken and Egg Noodles

Ingredients:
8 ounces green beans
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
8 ounces mushrooms
1 medium onion
3 tablespoons butter, divided
8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
Sour cream (optional)


Directions:
- For noodles, bring salted water to a boil in a 4-quart pan. Cut green beans diagonally into 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a 12-inch skillet with vegetable oil; heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until hot. Meanwhile, dice chicken into 1-inch pieces; sprinkle with paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper, if desired. Cook 5-7 minutes or until centers of chicken are no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- As chicken cooks, cut mushrooms into quarters. Cut onion in half lengthwise; then into -inch wedges. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to skillet. Cook and stir mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add noodles to boiling water and cook 2 minutes. Add green beans to noodles. Cook, uncovered, 5 to 6 minutes or until noodles are cooked to desired tenderness. Carefully remove ¾ cup of the cooking water for use in sauce. Drain noodles and green beans using large colander.
- Add chicken and cooking water to skillet; stir to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is heated through.
- Meanwhile, toss noodles and green beans with remaining butter. Snip or chop dill.
- To serve: Divide noodle mixture among serving plates; top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with dill and garnish with sour cream, if desired.

Serves four.

Nutrition values per serving: 500 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated), 49 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein, 150 mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium.

Review: Well, not my favorite chicken recipe, but it was good. It was definitely something different and may just be the way I cooked it, so I might try again just to see if I change my mind. I used dried dill (didn't have fresh) and light sour cream, which helps cut some of the calories. I also don't think I used the butter to also cut calories and use yolk-less egg noodles, which cuts down on the cholesterol. haha Maybe it's cutting down on all of these calories is why it wasn't as good as I hoped, but then again you can still have good tasting food without the calories. So try it, you might like it and if you aren't worried about the calories, go all out!

Weight Watchers Points: 11 points per serving

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails