Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

I am always searching for new recipes to try out for dinner. I just feel like I make the same thing over and over again. I am sort of a person who needs variety but at the same time I like the comfort of making the same thing over and over again.

One day about a month ago while my son was taking his late nap I decided to watch Oprah. I can't remember what the show was about but her chef friend Cristina Ferrare was on it. Her segment was making meals for less. She had a few women cooking at home with her and she was basically showing them how to turn 2 roasted chickens into multiple meals.

The recipe that really caught my eye was for Chicken Enchiladas. It is something I have had out many time at Mexican restaurants. I know Heidi even has talked about making it once for dinner. When I saw what the recipe was and how easy it sounded I wanted to try it out.

To be honest for me to buy a whole chicken and roast it is not a hard thing. However, it is cheaper as well as less time consuming if I go to my wholesale club and buy a rotisserie chicken. I used the dark meat for this recipe and save the white meat for another meal.



Review: I was so excited and surprise on how yummy this recipe came out. I have made it a couple of times and really can't wait to make it again. I do have some notes on the recipe that I feel is important to share with you. I only needed use one 16 oz can of beans which was all my supermarket had instead of the 2 cans the recipe calls for. Maybe there are smaller cans out there which is what they might have had in mind. I also used a small can of sliced black olives instead of the kalmata olives the recipe calls for (I think the black olives are cheaper). The first time I made it I used a bag of a cheddar and Monterrey jack cheese mix. The second time I made it I used just cheddar and I couldn't really tell the difference. I also used sour cream the first time and cream cheese the second time and I also couldn't tell the difference. The one problem I had both times was that my enchiladas stuck to the bottom of the pan. The first time it was worse because I didn't use enough sauce (I used only one 8oz jar because that was the only size the supermarket had...it wasn't until I got home that I realized it was suppose to be a 16oz jar). I also find that I can only fit 5 and not 6 enchiladas in my pan...maybe I stuff them too much or don't roll them tight enough. It isn't that much of a problem since we don't eat all 5 in one sitting any way. They are very filling and I can eat 2 but I am SO stuffed after that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails