Friday, November 16, 2007

Chocolate-Mint Wafters...from Everyday Food

I am starting to think about what else to make for the upcoming holidays...besides my standard Grandma's Sugar Cookie (which I would be disowned from every family if I didn't make them). I got the new issue of Everyday Food and they have a bunch of cookie recipes in it.


Chocolate-Mint Wafers
Prep: 25 minutes Total: 35 minutes, plus chilling

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
Sprinkles, for decorating (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.


Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined.

Form balls of dough (each equal to 1 teaspoon), and place on two baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Dip the bottom of a glass in water, and flatten balls into 1 1/2-inch rounds (about 1/4 inch thick). Bake until slightly firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make chocolate coating: Place chocolate, peppermint extract, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.

Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Set each cookie across the tines of a fork, dunk in chocolate, then tap underside of fork on side of the bowl to allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, and decorate with sprinkles, if desired.

Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about 30 minutes, and keep chilled until ready to serve.


Review: This cookie is OK not sure if I would make it again because it was more time consuming then I thought it would be. I have to admit that I am comparing it to the girl scout version which are way better then this recipe. Making the dough was pretty easy and using my cookie scoop made rolling the dough into balls easy. I wasn't that good at flattening the dough into disk with the glass and it got sort of stuck a few times. The most time consuming part of this recipe for me was dipping then into the chocolate...something I am sure gets easier with practise. Which brings me to my first issue with the recipe. I don't know if it is a typo or what but I didn't get 44 cookies out of this recipe. I got about 24 cookies or so out of this recipe. To be fair I think I did make them a little bit larger then the 1 teaspoon size because I used my cookie scoop which I believe is 1 1/2 teaspoon size. The other issue I have with the recipe is the total time it took to make the cookies...35 minutes...maybe if have a machine that will coat all the cookies at once in chocolate. I think it took me about 1 hour to maybe 1 1/2 hours to make this recipe from start to finish.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I might add these to my christmas cookie list :-)

Unknown said...

I had to bookmark your site! These sound too good to pass up, and I tried the peach glazed chicken last night. It was truly delicious! Where do you get your recipes from?

teeth whiteners

Michelle said...

I got the recipe from my neighbor...she has a cookbook that has recipes with 5 or less ingredents in 20 minutes or less...something like that but not sure of the exact title.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails