Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why Mess With a Good Thing...

As usually or I should say a daily occurrence...I need to figure out what to make for dinner. It just seems that they days go by so fast that I forget to think ahead. Before I know it it is close to dinner time and I have no clue what to make. Oh but today is different I had the brilliant idea to try and make Cuban Black Beans.

I have posted before that I have a million and one cookbooks. I really am trying to make recipes out of as many as I could (secretly to justify why I have so many and to justify why I need more). So I thought hey why not try the recipe from the Cuban cookbook I have.
The reason for the title of this post is why mess with a good thing is because I have a completely amazing black bean recipe already. One that is from the best Cuban chef I know...Mike's grandmother or as we all like to call her Mama. Then again for some odd reason we never can make the beans like she does. We just let her make them when we really want them.

So I thought everything was going well because it smelled the way it always does. There are a couple of differences in the recipes but nothing major. Then I tasted the beans...yuck...bland...something is missing...oh my what I am going to do that won't totally kill them. I would wait for Mike to get home from work but that could be midnight at the rate he is working these days. I am hoping that Mike's grandparents come and stay with my in-laws over the summer. That way I can get Mama to give me a few Cuban cooking lessons!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails